4 January 2014

An unexpected return

2013 kind of ran right past me. It was a funny year to say the least.

I'm back now though. I'm ready to get back into where I was and hopefully build on that. There's been some change here on the blog, a new name and a new layout. It felt right to do that. 

The beginning of a new year does bring a renewed sense of hope. It feels like I'm open to getting back on track. 2014 feels like a gift, a huge opportunity, a year for change.

Of course I could just be being swept up in the romance of these precious first days of a new year and everything could come crashing back down around me by February. But let's hope not.

I'm not setting resolutions for this year. I'm just planning to achieve. I want to look back at the end of the year and be able to count off all the successes I've had.

You see 2013 didn't feel very successful. Don't get me wrong, there's been some big changes. I moved into my own little flat and away from a toxic relationship with my brother. Cutting him out of my life has been a big thing for me, a good thing. I successfully became a permanent employee at my job and have been working hard ever since which has led to other elements of my life being put to one side. My relationship is now a wonderful 18 months old and I'm thankful every day for my lovely boyfriend. And I finally fulfilled a desire I've had since I was a young teenager and began what I suspect will be an ongoing addiction to tattoos, getting the first two of many planned designs.

But 2013 brought loss as well. A brilliant friend suddenly passed away in April and the loss has been a deep blow. Others close to me have also said goodbye to family and friends as well and it's felt like 2013 has been blanketed with unexpected and tragic death. Not to bring things down but it's all played on my mind.

It's not only losing loved ones that's affected me. I've felt this creeping sense of losing myself as well in 2013. For a while I was convinced that I had a good solid grasp on my depression but there have been some low points that I've really struggled with. Times when I just wanted to disappear.

2014 though. 2014 feels different. It feels exciting. It feels like there's lots to be done and lots of experiences to be had this year. I feel positive in a way that I haven't felt in quite a long time.

I'm positively excited for 2014.

So forgive me for the prolonged absence and hopefully join me in embracing this new year ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I like your alternative to resolutions, it sounds much easier to follow and less likely to give up on!!x

    ReplyDelete