9 February 2014

Tintypes

I fell in love with these tintypes by Victoria Will. Taken at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.


There's something especially piercing about the portraits of the actors with blue eyes like Elijah Wood and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Evokes that old time feel in the photos. And the soft focus of Glenn Close behind Elle Fanning, she appears almost spectre like. I love all the marks around the photos as well, the wet plate process making each photograph entirely individual.

There appears to be a lot more of wet plate photography appearing these days and it's something I find endlessly beautiful. If there's one thing I'd like, it'd be to have my own tintype portrait taken. I think it'd also make a really fascinating project for family portraits. A tintype a year to document a growing family.

You can see the rest of Victoria's tintypes on her website, http://www.victoriawill.com/TINTYPES.

No comments:

Post a Comment