17 October 2015

7. read all the unread books on my shelves

I imagine that those of us who are avid readers all have a books to read pile. Either by your bed, on their own shelf on your bookcase or maybe even on your desk. I'm talking a physical pile of books, not a list of books you keep as something to read one day but an actual stack of books.

You tell yourself you won't buy any more until you've depleted that pile. But then you find yourself in a bookshop whilst wasting time on your lunch. Or you see someone raving about a book they've just read and it's cheap online. Maybe you're in a charity shop and see a book with a cover that jumps out at you. Since you're known for your love of books, family and friends buy you gift vouchers which you just have to spend. This stack of books becomes something that is constantly topped up but the bottom of which is never reached.

I have a stack of books that I have been meaning to read. Some of the books in this stack have been there for nearly 5 years. That's a really long time to have not read a book. I'm actually a bit ashamed to admit that. So another of my ideas for my 30 before 30 list was to read through this stack of books.


As you can see it is not a small pile. It is a pretty varied mix so I'm hoping that will keep me interested in working through it. I tend to dip in and out of reading but have been doing it more frequently since I purchased a Nook eReader. Whatever you do, do not ask me about the books I have to read on my Nook, I'm not including those. Otherwise I would be spending the next 11 months doing nothing but reading. Which sounds glorious but is wholly impractical.

Reading is one of life's finest pleasures so I'm looking forward to working on this. I won't promise not to buy any more books but I am going to prioritise reading these first. I'll keep you updated on how I get on.

1 comment:

  1. I have 3 of those on my unread pile (Candide, We Need To Talk About Kevin and 1Q84), currently taking part in a 24 hour readathon to try and get through some, I've been on 1 book all damn day!

    ReplyDelete