25 June 2011

Film.

I don't know how many of you have heard of Lomography and this whole analogue love culture that comes with it but I've been a fan of it for years now. A few months back Groupon offered a voucher for the Lomography shop and I absolutely couldn't resist. I was utterly torn in my decision of what to buy because Lomography has such a crazy range of cameras that you kinda want to collect them all. But I wanted a good all-rounder so I went for the Diana F+ deluxe kit.


Now what I actually did was purchase the deluxe kit off Ebay as it was considerably cheaper than the Lomo shop even with the voucher. And I used my voucher to buy the RingFlash.


I love the look of ring flash in photography and the best thing about the Lomo RingFlash is that it works on both my Diana F+ and my Canon. Amazeballs right?

Now when I went to Seville with college I used only my Diana F+ much to my tutor's annoyance but I loved it. Walking round in the blazing sun all day, I didn't want to be weighed down by my Canon so I stuck to my perfectly lightweight Diana F+ and we had a lot of fun together. I'd changed the back from 120mm to 35mm the minute it arrived and I had 5 films with me. All purchased from Poundland before I went but they worked out nicely. I really believe that Lomography in general works better in those sunny moments as it adds to the captured atmosphere. I think in the end I used about 3 films and admittedly not all the shots worked out. That's obviously down to my inexperience with film and still getting used to the camera settings. But I like the shots that did work out such as the following, taken with the telephoto lens attached.

Seville April 2011

More of my Seville shots can be found on my Flickr, in particular in this set.

So now as I get closer to leaving for Portugal for the summer I'm looking again at my Diana F+ and thinking about all the shots we'll be able to get whilst there. However I didn't want to take a suitcase full of Poundland film. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film. Kodak ColourPlus ISO200 24exp and I've picked up 3 for those first few days, just to get me back into working on film. But I wanted to experiment with other films and see what results I'd get. Of course film isn't as cheap as it used to be but I made use of a Lomo 15% discount offer on their films as well as some cheap shopping on Ebay. So I've got myself a selection of the following films.


I'm really excited to begin shooting with these in Portugal and I really hope they work out. I'll have to pay a bit more attention to the camera settings as I don't want there to be too many messed up shots. But then again I've now got something like 30 films to take with me so there's plenty to work with. Just hope there'll be room in the refrigerator for them all. Of course processing when I get back will be a killer but I may just go for getting them developed then investing in a negative scanner as it's a fair bit more sensible than getting prints and CDs made for them all.

Of course a selection of my best shots will be posted on here when the time comes so y'all can see how I got on.

Laters,

P x

No comments:

Post a Comment