2 October 2011

The end of my childhood...

I couldn't do an epic post spam without talking about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. I left for Portugal just before the film came out which was intentional as I wasn't ready to face the end of Harry Potter before I went away.


So gosh. It's all over. The original plan was for me to go see HP & DH pt2 the week I got back from Portugal but my friend had to reschedule then it wasn't showing late enough then something else and another thing and it turned out I just didn't get round to seeing it. I began to tell myself it didn't matter if I didn't see it in the cinema. I could get the dvd when it was released and have a marathon. But the geek in me stated screaming about how that wouldn't be right. I had to honour Harry Potter. I had to go to the cinema. So I planned to have a busy day. One long day full of everything. And that day would be Monday 26th September. I already had a date with The Boy With Tape On His Face that evening so I thought well in the day I'll see HP & Dh pt2 AND buy myself a proper film camera. A most fulfilling day I'm sure you'll agree.

So as planned, on Monday 26th September, I got up early. I showered. I dressed. I put on my waterproof mascara. I packed some tissues. I began my journey into the city centre. All good so far. When I arrived I treated myself to a gingerbread latte from Costa. Then I advanced to the cinema to buy my ticket...in advance.

One student ticket for Harry Potter please. Thank you.

I had 3 hours to waste before my screening. Time to buy my proper film camera. Details of which will be covered in a separate post.

3 hours later I returned to the cinema, ticket in hand. I bought my standard cinema going experience food, a foot long hotdog. I have an unhealthy love of hotdogs. I took my seat. I looked at my hotdog. He looked as sad as I felt. Just as I finished my hotdog my friend Mike appeared. By pure coincidence he'd decided to come see Harry Potter that day and at that time as well. I was no longer alone in my sorrow.

Then the film began.

Wow. You've all probably seen it by now so I don't have to go into detail. What I can tell you is that my heart was in my throat the entire time. It felt like having a mild heart attack for 2 and a half hours. I can't claim that Harry Potter means as much to me as it does some of my friends but it is a very important factor of who I am. I love Harry Potter. Unashamedly adore the books and the films. I see them as separate entities but I love them equally. I wasn't a fan from the first book, I think I got into them around book 4, The Goblet of Fire. But I was there all the way with the films. They just became part of my life. And watching HP & DH pt2 I just couldn't believe it was all ending. Amazingly I only cried once during the film. If I'd been on my own I may well have cried a whole lot more. But I was so nervous for every moment. Knowing the book, knowing the story, knowing what happens, knowing it's ending was killing me the whole way through. Knowing after this scene comes that scene then comes the next scene and it just hurt. That's the best way I can describe it. It hurt to watch it. I was watching a huge part of my life finally end. And it made me ache. It was similar to knowing a relationship is about to end when you don't want it to but it has to. It was incredibly sad to go through that.

I'll always love Harry Potter and I can't wait to own whatever big, magical boxset they release for all the films. I'll have annual Harry Potter marathons and when I have kids I'll get to share the magic with them. I'm so excited to introduce my eventual children to the world JK Rowling created.

For now well I guess it's finally over for Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger and every other fantastical character from that world. In the future, if anyone should ask if I still love Harry Potter even now, my answer will be always.

Laters,

P x

No comments:

Post a Comment