20 February 2012

The Flaw of Lomography.

Now there's no questioning that I am a solid fan of Lomography. I use their cameras, their films and their website unashamedly. However I do have one minor beef with Lomography which I wanted to blog about.

The other day I read this announcement that Lomography were saying goodbye to their La Sardina Sea editions. No big deal to me. So far I've been vastly uninterested in the La Sardina so I don't mind that they're withdrawing some of the editions of it. In fact I wonder if perhaps Lomography could withdraw a few more editions of some of their cameras.

Now usually I only frequent the Lomography online shop if there's an offer on but following the release of the animal print editions of some of their cameras I had a thorough browse. Whilst initially I was impressed by the animal print editions, in particular the Diana Mini Leopard, there was one element of that themed release that bugged me. And that was the release of two La Sardinas within that theme. I just feel it wasn't necessary to bring out two editions of one camera, especially not when essentially the only difference is colour as they both have a snakeskin theme. Then not long after the animal print editions Lomography released a further two La Sardinas, the metal encased Western editions. Ok metal casing is kinda cool, been done before but the patterns are pretty funky. But again did it really need to be two La Sardinas to get this design? What about some of the other cameras? And then do you know what Lomography did next? They released yet another edition of the La Sardina, Virginia is for Lovers. That's a total of FIVE new editions of one camera in a very short amount of time. And I just don't get why.

So with the release of 5 new editions of the La Sardina I can understand why Lomography feel they should put the Sea editions to rest.


Don't mourn the passing of these editions too heavily though my dear Lomography fans. Remember there are 5 new editions you could purchase from. But what if you can't afford the hefty £179 price tag of one of the Western editions? Or snakeskin isn't your thing? Or you've never even been to America much less Virginia? Well don't worry there are still other editions of this camera available to purchase. In fact I gathered pics of each La Sardina design available and handily compiled them into one rudimentary graphic.


Who needs 11 editions of one camera? WHO?! These cameras range from £55 to £179 so you'd sure be forking out a whole lot of pennies if you were one of those obsessive collector types.

Inspired by this little investigation I decided to check out some of the other big sellers on Lomography to see how they were doing in the game of "who has the most editions?".

Say hello to the Sprocket Rocket. This is the camera I'd be most likely to buy next if I had to choose. Good job I have a choice of 6 colours to choose from. Let it be known I'd go for black. I don't care for bright colours all that much and on these cameras those colours look garish. Give me muted colours. Give me subtle. I don't need nor want a neon explosion. Plus I don't like to draw attention to the fact I'm taking a photograph. I feel photographers get enough funny/suspicious looks as it is so pulling out a bright orange camera would only further attract those looks.


So who's next? Oh hello Diana Mini, aren't you a teeny tiny cutesy wutesy camera?


What's that? You're over your phase of wanting to look like your big sister Diana F+? If you say so.


Alright I know I complained about the garish colours of the Sprocket Rocket when we all know I have an unashamed love for the Diana Mini Leopard and that makes me a hypocrite of sorts. But the Diana Mini is indeed mini and hardly anyone would notice me shooting with it anyways. If I were the sort to have a million friends I'd use my Diana Mini to take portraits of said friends and they'd all love her for her leopard print coat so her Pat Butcher tendency would be forgiven. But on the whole I find the Diana Mini editions a lot more forgivable than the La Sardina and the Sprocket Rocket. In fact the leopard print is probably the most bold out of all its editions. The gold is certainly "bling" but it somehow works. Even the colour editions are less in your face than the neon atrocities of the Sprocket Rocket. Well played Diana Mini.

Then we have the Fisheye One.


Before the Diana Mini camera along I think the Fisheye One was probably one of the forerunners for the first camera purchased by people new to Lomography. It's fun, it's easy to use, it makes for great party shots, it's the perfect novelty. And would you look at that? Mostly nice simple colours or patterns adorn these cameras. My choice would probably be the woodgrain edition. But then not satisfied with having one Fisheye type camera Lomography brought out the Fisheye No. 2.


Which is essentially the upgrade of the Fisheye One. So why keep the Fisheye One around? If you're going to buy a Fisheye camera you'd buy the better one right? Especially when the Fisheye No. 2 comes with different editions to the Fisheye One.


Ahh back to the delightfully garish with those two neon editions not to mention that snakeskin pattern. And don't even get me started on that ugly Ripcurl edition. What did the Fisheye No. 2 do to deserve such designs? I suppose Lomography didn't want the Fisheye No. 2 to be marketed as the upgraded version of the Fisheye One by reproducing it in the same designs. Give it new designs. Make the Fisheye One still seem like a valid purchase. Oh alright Lomography, have it your way.

And now we come to the worst offender of excessive editions. And I'm ashamed to say it's my girl Diana F+.


There she is in her classic blue & black design reproduced in homage to her original 60's edition. She is a medium format dream that has now become one of the most versatile cameras that Lomography produces. Adaptable to both 35mm and instant film with a selection of lenses and frame masks, the Diana F+ comes with her own flash but is compatible with other flashes. There is little that this camera can't do. Who wouldn't be happy with a complete kit for the Diana F+? Lomography should be damn proud of her. What they shouldn't do is produce a further 16 editions of her.


I'll state right now that I know that this graphic does not cover all the other exclusive editions of the Diana that have been released such as the ones released for Urban Outfitters. This goes beyond excess. This has now passed into ridiculous. Obviously I love the Diana F+, she's a good camera to me. We had a glorious Portuguese summer together. But it is in no way necessary to have more than 16 editions of this camera. As far as I'm aware every subsequent edition of these cameras does exactly the same things as the first edition. So when you get into other editions you're already stepping on the bounds of excess. But Lomography took the Diana and by god did they run with it.

Again let me state that I love Lomography, I love what they do and I love the community they've created on their website for Lomographers. I just don't know why they keep redesigning their existing cameras rather than focus on finding or developing new cameras. I want a camera that doesn't do what any of my others do. Alright it's nice to have some choice when it comes to buying a new camera and you get to choose the colour or design. That's the fun of Lomography I guess. It's like Converse Chuck Taylors. Same shoe, multitude of colours. But you're paying roughly the same price for that shoe regardless of colour. Lomography actually charges more if you want one of their fancy designs. So not only are you not getting anything different with what your camera produces you're paying more for it. If you're so determined to have a camera that's different then slap some paint on it yourself. I've seen tutorials for this kind of thing. It isn't hard. And the money you save could be spent on accessories for your camera or film or would cover the cost of developing. Or all three likely considering how much Lomography charge for these special edition cameras.

If I were in charge of Lomography and I had to find ways of keeping the brand interesting then I would focus on developing new cameras rather than dollying up the existing cameras. It's frustrating when they make a big fuss out of bringing out a new product but really it's just the same product with a new coat on. If Lomography absolutely must keep bringing out new editions of the same camera then make them truly limited edition and withdraw some of the older designs. Yes they're kind of doing it now with the La Sardina, withdrawing 4 designs to make way for 5 new designs but in my opinion it isn't enough. What I'd do is reduce the amount of editions each camera has to roughly 6. Obviously you don't want each camera type to come with a uniform but I think a solid black edition of each would be a good thing. There are those of us out there that don't want fancy designs. We're minimalistic in our tastes. Cameras that allow for two colours on their body should be indulged but do so in complimentary colours. If you absolutely must throw a pattern on it or make a theme of something then make that edition a limited edition and after your initial run of them has sold then lay it to rest. That's the only way you can excuse overcharging for such a product. Oh and it's time the Fisheye One was put out of action. The Fisheye No. 2 is the superior camera so why leave the inferior Fisheye One hanging around? It's just getting a little embarrassing now.

Oh and please, PLEASE leave neon colours off everything.

Ok I'm done you guys. Well done if you read all that. Let me know if you have any opinions on the topic. I'd love to hear what you think.

Laters,

P x

1 comment:

  1. Let me first say, yes I did read the whole thing (& I super like the neon/80s vibe)
    Also, I basically agree with everything you say. Lomography's marketing strategy seems pretty ridiculous to me. I had the same beef with Lomography seeing as how I got three la sardinas in which the fritz the blitzes wouldn't function properly & two diana minis where the film would get stuck (am I unlucky or what?!?!)
    I even asked one of the guys at Lomography India who told me that they were following the tradition that started with the original chinese diana medium format camera. There wer many clones with different names. I know they are going overboard but certain new designs speak to people, I guess. I know I loved the original el capitan la sardina as my dad is in the merchant navy. I don't understand what they're doing but I've made my peace with it.

    ReplyDelete