17 February 2012

Haunting Inspiration

This post contains nudity therefore comes with a NSFW warning.

Werriston has previously been featured on my blog before as part of Lomo Wednesday but he's getting another mention because he's given me a bit of renewed inspiration. I was casually checking my notifications on the Lomography website and noseying at the new albums that had been published by various other users when I spotted these photos by werriston.


With an album name like more ghosts it leads one to believe that there has been a prior album of these ghostly images. So I checked out his other albums until I found the right one, ghosts of Fitzroy.


Sigh I do love these. Of the top colour photographs I find that middle bathtub one to be especially eerie, there's a disturbing clinical feeling to that type of tiled bathtub surroundings and the rosary cross necklace in the hand gives it that religious sacrifice feel. The clasping hands in black & white hints towards lost love and it's almost backed up by that shower photograph as if they're losing their sense of self now. I'd definitely have those as prints in my home if I could.

Funny thing is that they're so similar to an idea I had for a project when I was at college. My project fell apart when I couldn't get the models to shoot with but it's been there in the back of my mind as something to finish one day. And these shots have just reminded me of that. Done as double exposures I presume one shot is taken without the model then a second shot is taken with the model. It seems so incredibly simple and I really want to try it. I'm still without models but I might give it a try with some still life stuff just to see how it works out. And then when I'm in the presence of willing models I'll give it another try. Need to buy myself a tripod to ensure precision of course but I really want to give this a go. Might be one to try when I put the 120 back on my Diana F+ just for that beautiful square framing. Finishing my project idea would be a great mini accomplishment for me as well.

What do you folks think anyways? Do you like these shots and this idea in general? Have you already tried something similar? (Do share if you have!) Got any tips I should keep in mind when attempting this? Let me know!

Laters,

P x

No comments:

Post a Comment